Checking further heist to be first priority: new BB governor

Newly appointed governor of Bangladesh Bank Fazle Kabir said his first priority will be to prevent recurrence of such incident of heist through which hackers took away more than $100 million from the central bank account with US Federal Reserve Bank.
He came up with the remarks while taking to reporters on Thursday at Shahjalal International Airport after his return home from the USA, reports United News of Bangladesh.
Kabir, a former finance secretary, was appointed as the central bank governor following resignation of Atiur Rahman on March 15 amid a huge row over the heist of $101 million from the Bangladesh Bank’s account with the US Federal Reserve Bank.
Prior to his new appointment, he was the chairman of state-owned Sonali Bank.
He said he would try to make his best in discharging his new responsibilities which the government, specially the prime minister and the finance minister, gave him with confidence.
He said his first task will be to concentrate on the incident (heist) that happened in Bangladesh. He hoped that the inquiry committee formed by the government would perform their duty and reports will be coming out gradually.
Earlier on Wednesday, the finance minister informed reporters that the newly appointed governor of Bangladesh Bank, Fazle Kabir, will take charge on March 19 after his return from the USA.
Indicating to new governor’s priority the finance minister said that Bangladesh Bank`s different systems require serious reforms. ‘It is not in a very healthy condition. This is my assessment,’ said Muhith.
source : the new age

Post a Comment